Weekly Report and Reflection #9: Exploring alternative tools
Last week, we discussed wikipedia and how it is an open-sourced information website. Well, this week its important to understand the consequences that are possible when everyone can use, delete, and edit this information. As we contribute towards wikis in providing valuable information, the reality is that not everyone is an established digital citizen and open-sourced websites are open to attacks, vandalism, and dishonesty. With this in mind, the integrity of the website is compromised. I think it is important to teach people how to contribute to wikis without having a destructive behaviour, and doing so in a caring manner. We do not want to be rude to other digital people, rather foster their love for the internet, and show them that they have the power to do good in a supportive environment.
The use of another tool that works based on the premise of having anyone contribute, people are encourage to share their thoughts. Voicethread is a powerful presentation tool to use in the workplace and academic settings. Here is a link to my initial thoughts on Voicethread. But after having some time to play around with it I've learned that its simplicity is what makes it such powerful tool. Often times we see tools like Evernote and Google docs being the all-in-one application that solves all of our issues in continuity, but when we take a look at Voicethread it focuses on collaboration and creation by offering simple options for users. Nothing is over the top, and when I wanted to share or embed the presentation I was able to do so with a click of a button instead of having to enter in HTML codes that I have some difficulty in using at times. I could definitely see myself adding this to my PLE because of its ability to engage peers and colleagues
 |
| Yee, N. (CC), 2014. |
As you can see in the picture, there is a very plain design that does not require users to change a lot of settings to make it work. As I have mentioned in previous blogs and posts about tools, I have a criteria for apps. They must be clean, easy to use, easy to share, and fun! Voicethread is able to meet all these requirements, meaning that I would not hesitate to use this in my PLE. When clicking on the Browse button on the homepage you are immediately introduced to so many presentations people have constructed. Often times they introduced themselves to me via video, I am blown away by the fact that people are so engaged in this community. In that way, it is a wonderful tool for a PLN because of the community that stands behind the projects. Due to the connectivity, people can always refine their skills the opportunities are endless, as every individual contribute their own knowledge, experiences, and skills to the presentation. I look forward to exploring this tool more, and based on the positive feedback, I feel it is a tool that understands the importance of digital citizenship.
Till next time,
Nathan
No comments:
Post a Comment