Saturday, December 6, 2014

Weekly Report and Reflection #11: Having a voice in the future of digital literacy and communication



During the time in this class I have spent many sessions pondering the effects this digital culture and generation has had on me. I have realized that I am far more engaged in learning tools than I originally thought. Using tools like Garageband and Soundcloud before this class to record music, and search new music from unestablished artists allowed me to connect with people with similar interests as me. Further exploring these webcasting tool made me realize that these tools accommodate to those that prefer learning through writing music and recording podcasts. It made me realize that as online learners, we are entitled to sharing knowledge in whatever way suits our needs. Instead of the traditional methods of communicating in academic settings, like writing essays and theses, we are able to really activate the right (creative) side of our brain. I found that Garageband was very adept in offering a user-friendly platform, multitude of functions, sharing capabilities, and compatibility. Introducing this tool into my learning environment provides an alternative way of sharing my learning, and I think it is very important in continuing to engage myself and others. I think that if I continue to challenge myself to create things in various tools they will help facilitate growth in digital literacy and communication, due to the endless possibilities and strong skill set. I will be able to target different audiences, and starting now will help me in my future work where I hope to be in communications department.
Yee, N. (CC), 2014.
Garageband's layout.
Exploring Soundcloud made me realize that these tools are very different than traditional collaborative tools. It was interesting to see how they were designed with the purpose to communicate with several different tools. For example, Garageband's ability to share directly to Soundcloud, then Soundcloud's ability to embed into my blog. These tools were made to make sure that creations would be able to make its way across many channels.



I decided that I would add Garageband to my PLE because of its usefulness in my interests in music and audio creation. Soundcloud did not meet my requirements because it is far to diverse for me to use on a regular basis. As much as I enjoy sharing my work to communicate and collaborate with others, I do not like the idea of my personal works being available to everyone. Even though there are privacy settings to settle my worries, I prefer having my works on a local network, so I can share them with whoever I choose. But it is comforting knowing that when I feel comfortable sharing my works, I have the right to have my artistic works safeguarded by the Creative Commons. I have come to realize that as the digital generation grows, my online footprint will grow, and I have a say on how that is used. As digital citizens we have the responsibility to be mindful of everyones contributions. For example, this week in Feedly there was an article that discussed the building of a high-speed rail network across Ontario and how $29 billion will be available to this endeavour. I wondered who's idea it must have been to do this, and what if an individual came up with the idea and it was stolen by the government. I know weird, right? But this is the grey area of intellectual property, it is never easy to understand the rights of this property. But with artistic works, the Creative Commons allows people to understand the rights of the individuals who share their work to avoid grey areas. As we progress in this digital culture, it is my hope that we seek to be knowledgeable in the rights and responsibilities of digital citizens. 

So far I feel fairly knowledgeable about the digital world, but there is always more to learn and share. Though this course is concluding, I will continue to be present in building my PLE with the goal of helping others realize that they have an impact on the future of this digital generation.

Cheers,

Nathan

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment