Saturday, December 6, 2014

PODCAST

After years of producing music and audio recordings for myself and other classes, I learned to appreciate this creative approach to teaching and learning. Last year, I had a class that required me to record my voice as if I were actually leading a guided tour of Welland, the Rose City. If you're looking for something to do this weekend: check out this link to Roaming the Rose City. At first, when developing a script with my partner we thought that this was a very odd approach to sharing experiences and information with others. As I continued to record I realized that this was an impressive way to integrate and interpret a tour experience without the guide physically being there. 
As digital literacy continues to attract learners around the world it is important to give students opportunities to develop skills in tools like Joomla, Garageband, Soundcloud, etc. Being able to effectively communicate using these tools is important to help others understand and be a part of an online environment. For example, if I had not taken the aforementioned class I would not have been introduced to self-guided tours with the use of "trip-clips"; therefore, there would not be an appreciation for innovative technology that serves as an alternative to paying someone to provide face-to-face services.
With this knowledge of voice clips, I know that I should share this technique by applying if in my assignments and work. It is especially important to share it since there are many people stuck behind barriers. If we only offer classes that support written communication there are so many that would be left out since their preferred way to work is thought verbal communication. It is everyones right to communicate with however they are most comfortable and it should be our responsibility to provide opportunities to learn and teach by accommodating to as many peoples' needs as possible.
Yee, N. (CC), 2014.
There are already so many online tools that support verbal and audio learning, and it is important to note their importance. I've been enjoying Soundcloud for a while now due to its large fanbase, and ability to have categories for different genres and uses. Here is my brief podcast on knowledge and the current trends in learning environments:



I am excited to see this generation of learners apply some of the skills I have learned in the past few years. As more tools allow people to learn in their personal environments, I trust that there will be more information, innovation, and interest in areas that have lacked in the past. 


I hope you're just as excited as I am!
Cheers,

Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment