Sunday, December 7, 2014

Weekly Report and Reflection #12: A whole new world

Try Googling myself. Okay.

I think it is still interesting to see what comes up. Because the fact is that while I have spent the past four months developing my digital footprint, so have the hundreds of other with the same name. Whether it is the young jazz guitar player (have a listen while you read),



– or the several doctors, it is evident that I have a lot of competition when making myself known as a digital citizen on the internet. But I do not think that is such a bad thing, the more people establish themselves as digital citizen, the better. Since they are learning how to use digital tools to create, collaborate, connect, organize, and aggregate. I even stumbled upon this Vine that I made last year during a trip out to Nova Scotia. Enjoy.



I think it is fascinating seeing all of these remnants of my past by just browsing Google. But the part that scares me is the fact that what if I had done something I am not proud of in my past. As we grow from our youth, we realize that sometimes we haven't made the best decisions, and what if those memories were captured digitally and dispersed on the internet. Well for some of us, we live and learn, but for the others that have not had embarrassing moments shared on the internet, that is where we need to learn how to respect and protect ourselves online. By dealing with digital literacy and learning that somethings on the internet can come to haunt us, we can safeguard ourselves by acting responsibly when using online tools. That Vine, I thought would be only available on the tool's platform, surprised me because after a couple clicks I could see myself. Instead of being embarrassed I am choosing to own the moment and take it in as part of my digital profile.

For those who are having difficulties making changes in their digital citizenship, I challenge you to Google yourself, and see what you find. Do not be surprised if the actual you does not show up right away, I'm sure it will. But my real challenge for you is to increase your digital presence. Make it your goal to have a positive impact on the top pages of Google's search, images, videos, etc. Record yourself sharing your feelings on the nine elements of digital citizenship, share what you have been learning in school or life, take pictures of you smiling in an environment your proud to be by... just do something that makes you happy as a digital citizen. I think that sometimes we get caught up in the moment of thinking what we ought to do, instead of just doing it. For myself, I want to engage in online communities by making and sharing music, sharing pictures and videos, continuing to journal and write blogs about things that are important to me. I want to meet amazing people who are willing to share themselves, and me with them. I do not want to be afraid of what is on the internet, because there is so much life, happiness, and information available on it. By acting in a positive way I think people will be inspired to make changes for the better, ones that will enhance the online environment's willingness to share. I have already established myself on several forms of social media, but I think it is time to continue expanding my horizons with tools like Google Hangout to really get to know people that have similar interests. If there is anything I have learned from this course, it would be that the internet is a resourceful place. There is so much to be found, and enjoyed. I will not be afraid to try new things. 

My honest belief is that digital citizens and environments can coexist with physical citizen and environments. I want to see a future where there is collaboration between the two. I look forward to collaborating with people online, and sharing our work in practical environments. By building my personal learning environment I am positive this can be achieved. So I am telling you now, because there is a whole new world ahead of us.

Until next time,

Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment